Monday, December 27, 2010

Pink Floyd


Ok, let's get a bit lighter. Occasionally, I will put a political blog entry up because something is sticking in my craw about something. In actuality, most of the time I'm pretty middle-of-the-road when it comes to my political leanings and since this blog is called "Fun Ideas", most political stuff isn't full of "Fun Ideas"...

So, on to Pink Floyd. I love Pink Floyd, but will have to admit, they are a hard group to like all of their stuff. There are some Syd Barrett purists who think Floyd did nothing of interest after they booted the mentally-ailing Barrett out of their act in 1968.

There are some who say that Floyd did nothing until "Dark Side of the Moon" (1973) and maybe "Meddle" (1971) prior to that.

There are some who say that Floyd did nothing after Roger Waters left (1983).

I tend to like all of their eras finding the 1968-1971 era a little bit hard to take with albums like "More", "Umma Gumma", "Obscured by Clouds" and "Atom Heart Mother". I'll have to admit I haven't fully explored these albums and compilations like "Echoes" did nothing to change those opinions.

I'm also not a big fan of "The Final Cut" (1983), Waters' final Floyd album.

Overall, I respect Floyd for their diversity and as such, there are many avenues for the casual fan to go with psychedelia, progressive rock and even disco!

Above is the Pink Floyd Back Catalog...get it??? Har-har, hardy har-har...

1 comment:

Lee Hester said...

Now THAT"S something I can really get behind!