Saturday, December 18, 2010

Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic


I got a DVD recently that I somehow actually missed the first time around, and I'm glad I found it. It's called "Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic". It was part of the "Walt Disney Treasures" series.

I had been getting every "Treasures" tin, but it got to the point where it seemed like Leonard Maltin was repeating himself or delving too deeply into the "Mickey Mouse Club", so I passed on tins like "Spin and Marty" and "The Hardy Boys" because I wasn't all that interested in those old serials that Maltin seems to be enthralled with.

I would rather have a second tin of "Walt Disney Rarities" featuring the cartoons they missed on the first volume, or a "Treasures" edition of "Song of the South" or more on stuff that happened after Disney died like "The Mouse Factory" or something.

In any case, I passed on "Secrets, Stories and Magic", because I was led to believe that there was nothing really new, except for a new documentary that would be all schmaltzy about Disney's 50th Anniversary. I happened to see the tin for $11 recently and decided to take a chance on it.

I was thrilled. Maltin uses this tin to finish off the Disneyland TV shows that focused on Disneyland that weren't released in the previous volumes (at least the ones that aired or were produced in Disney's lifetime).

There's even a "People and Places" documentary on Disneyland that I didn't know even existed. If you want to see Disneyland prior to the Matterhorn, Monorail and submarines, this is the show to see.

The tin is now out of print and actually commands a much higher price on Amazon, but if you can find one at all and are really interested in Disneyland, then it's worth it.

And, if you're lucky, like I was, your set will still have the Disneyland ticket book reproduction!

No comments: