Friday, July 30, 2010

"Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart"


So, I finally purchased the "Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart" collection on CD. It is an OK album, but lives on as the missing link between "Changes" and "That Was Then, This is Now" on the brief "Monkees" reunion of the 1970s.

One reviewer on Amazon claimed that the sound quality wasn't that good on this CD. I don't know what they're talking about. It sounds fine. I think the original LP didn't have that much dynamic range, anyway, and was kind of quickly put together, explaining the need for covers like "Along Came Jones" and "Teenager in Love" from a group that boasted TWO writers who wrote most of the Monkees hits.

I think the biggest problem with "DJB&H" is their name. Too long and cumbersome. I know that they didn't have the rights to the "Monkees" name at the time (1976), but they should have come up with something more dynamic than this like "Monkmen" or something.

There is also a long out-of-print live CD of "DJB&H", which I have as well that originally appeared on LP in Japan.

Though not the greatest album, songs like "You and I" (redone later by the Monkees on "Just Us"), "You Didn't Feel That Way Last Night (Don't You Remember)" (which sound suspiciously like "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone"), "Savin' My Love For You" and "Remember the Feeling".

No comments: