Monday, November 29, 2010

"Topper" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"



I saw "Topper" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" with friends over the weekend at the Stanford Theater. Interesting to note that both movies eventually became TV series for a time. In fact, I used to watch "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" TV show as a kid and had no knowledge that it was based on a movie. I remember liking the TV show, but can't say that I've seen an episode in about 40 years. (YouTube here I come...)

Anyway, the basic story is a widow (Gene Tierney) decides to move into a haunted seaside cottage previously owned by a crusty old sea captain (Rex Harrison). It has moments of humor, but I bet you'll cry in the end, too.

"Topper", I've seen dozens of times including its two sequels, but never on the big screen until now. Roland Young portrays "Topper", a wealthy businessman who lives a sedate life with his wife (Billie Burke), until his deceased friends (Cary Grant and Constance Bennett) help him to live it up. Much humor and great special effects highlight this film.

Both are on DVD, but it is always good to catch these on the big screen whenever possible.

No comments: