Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Gene Wilder films

At last, the last REALLY GOOD Gene Wilder film is on DVD! "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother". This is easily as funny as Mel Brooks' best work, that it even looks as if Mel snuck in to direct. As it is, it is definitely the best film that Wilder directed, because unfortunately it was all down hill from here. For me, here are Wilder's best films. And no, I did not put "Stir Crazy", while funny, I don't consider it his BEST. It's also my opinion:

The Producers (1968)
Start the Revolution Without Me (1970)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1975)
Silver Streak (1976)

I met Gene about a year ago and he is a very charming man. As such, I slogged through Gene's lesser efforts with Richard Pryor and Gilda Radner because I like him so much. It's too bad that Gene can't achieve that level of greatness from 1968-1976, but at least we have the movies. Gene is just too mellow nowadays to reprise the manic characters that he used to perform so well in the past, which is fine. He can retire with style and class.

--
Regards,

Mark Arnold
http://funideas.home.att.net

No comments: