Monday, December 12, 2005

1001 Films You Must See Before You Die

There is a book out called "1001 Films You Must See Before You Die". While the title seems inviting, it's annoying to note that so many non-US (and therefore more difficult to find) movies are on the list. Also, the list has the typical "usual suspects". No where would you find movies like "Blazing Saddles" or "Willy Wonka" or "Song of the South", but you will ALWAYS find movies that I feel are tremendously overrated such as "Mr. Hulot's Holiday", "Citizen Kane" and foreign features like "Rome-Open City". I've seen them all, and tried hard to like them.

I feel that someone (maybe me) should issue a book of "1001 Films You Must See That Are Made In The USA And Are Not The Usual Film School Required Watching Features". That way, an occasional dopey Disney comedy or sub-par but watchable Don Knotts or Jerry Lewis movie could be included...I mean, I would rather watch Disney's "Million Dollar Duck" again than watch any Jacques Tati film.

--
Regards,

Mark Arnold
http://funideas.home.att.net

1 comment:

Fun Ideas said...

Sorry to say this, but "Blazing Saddles" and "Willy Wonka" are in this book. I stand corrected.

-Mark.