Friday, February 10, 2006

Brokeback Mountain Question

Anyone reading this who is not gay, tell me the truth, did you see and
enjoy "Brokeback Mountain"? It seems that every time someone says something
negative about this film, someone always rushes to the defense of it, and
then claims that they are gay, like that reason alone makes the film
better. I feel that a lot of gay people are supporting it in exactly the
same way non-gay people are not, because of the subject matter, more than
whether it is really a good film or not. And that's what's important to me.

I don't plan to see it right away, because I am not a fan of Director Ang
Lee's other work that I have seen, namely "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
and "Hulk". I could give two figs about the subject matter of any film, as
long as it is good, and I thought those two films were bad. "Crouching"
seemed decent until all the characters started leaping about like "Peter
Pan" and that lost me. And "Hulk", with its computer-generated "Hulk" is
just plain bad and stupid, too.

It's fine that it's a romance between two male cowboys, but since Ang Lee
has made such wretched films in the past, I don't trust his directorial
efforts. Winning awards doesn't mean anything either, because usually I am
not a big fan of most "Best Picture" awards even though eventually I do end
up seeing them.

Comments?

Regards,
Mark Arnold
http://funideas.home.att.net

No comments: