Monday, April 14, 2008

Across the Universe Review

When "Across the Universe" came out in theaters a few months ago, many of my friends asked me if I was going to or had gone to see it. I said, "No" on both counts. Although I am a major Beatles fan, I am not a fan of cover versions. That's not saying that there hasn't been some excellent cover versions come out over the years, Earth Wind & Fire's "Got to Get You Into My Life" comes to mind, but in general, I'm not a fan of cover versions, unless it's the Beatles doing them.



So anyway, it came out on DVD, and I figured, "Why not?" I will say that it is isn't as terrible as I thought it would be, but it also could have been better. The best parts of the movie were the songs ironically, and the movie would have been a zillion times better if there wasn't a storyline. It should have been a song movie a la "Fantasia", but with Beatles music instead.



The best parts were the more surreal ones that were sung by Joe Cocker, Bono, and Eddie Izzard, respectively. The worst parts as I said were the attempts at a lame storyline.



Overall, it's worth a view and I give it a thumbs up, but you may want to fast-forward through the talky parts.

No comments: