Thursday, February 05, 2009

SNL Better Again



I posted this on Facebook, but it turned out well enough, I made it a blog entry.

I feel SNL is finally getting better again after being lousy for a number of years. SNL has always been kind of hit and miss with the better years being 1975-1980; 1982-1985; 1987-1992; 2004-present, and I've watched it since the beginning. I think they took more chances in the beginning especially with the musical guests where they could have a jazz artist or classical artist, where as now it's just the latest pop or rap act. The comedy writing and acting was more daring and sharp in the early days a lot of the time as well, and if a sketch didn't work, it didn't seem to go on for 20 minutes, except maybe Bill Murray as the lounge singer. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now when re-watching them recently on the full season DVDs.

I actually wish that the show wouldn't be live anymore. Since I live in California it's never live anyway. It could easily be "live on tape" or actually filmed so that there weren't any flubs and the sketches could be tighter since the writing and acting isn't as strong. Also, I think it's time Lorne Michaels be put out to pasture. SNL has gotten stale and stiff like he has. Watch the early shows and he seems to have an enthusiasm that is totally missing now. So what if he created the show...

No comments: