Friday, September 03, 2010

Jerry Lewis Telethon


Yes, I am actually a fan of Jerry Lewis. For instance, when Warner Archives put out "Which Way to the Front?" on DVD, I immediately had to buy it, despite it not being available in stores (although I did see it in Amoeba Records in San Francisco, recently). It's not his best movie, but there's still quite a few of his pre-1970 films NOT on DVD.

So, Jerry's going to the host his annual Muscular Dystrophy Telethon...AGAIN, and I'm probably going to watch a little of it, just to see how old Jer's doing. He hasn't looked to well as of late. A few years ago, he was overweight due to some medication and now he just looks kind of feeble, but he keeps plugging away. I miss young Jerry, but I still hope he stays with us for a long, long time.

Admittedly, the Telethon nowadays seems somewhat of a joke. As a child of the 70s, I thought that they would find a cure by now. No fault of Jerry's, it's just that I don't think society makes as much progress on things as they used to, and we also always seem to change our focus. Witness the "South Park" episode from a few year's back where Cartman gets AIDS and holds a benefit, but no one shows up, because cancer is now the new "in" disease.

So, the Telethon carries on, and it is the best time to see Jerry nowadays to say the least as he hasn't made a movie or a TV shows in years.

No comments: